Brought to you by:
The Utica Observer Dispatch and BOSCAR Electric Company
Welcome to the 5th Great Utica Pumpkin Carve!
Our Lady of Lourdes Men’s Club
2 Barton Avenue
Utica, New York 13502
October 4 - 6, 2018
Dear Pumpkin Carver:
The Great Utica Pumpkin Carve is scheduled Thursday, October 4th from 5:00 – 9:00 p.m., Friday, October 5th from 5:00 – 10:00 p.m., and Saturday, October 6th from noon until 7:00 p.m., rain or shine, unless the weather is detrimental, then a decision will be made about any one of the three dates. Actual carving will take place on Thursday, October 4th. We’re looking for your participation!
Prizes are to be awarded for the indicated categories included with this letter. There will also be a People’s Choice Award. Visitors to the Carve will be given the opportunity to vote for their favorite pumpkin during the event, with the winner being announced on Saturday night October 6th
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING RULES CAREFULLY. To qualify for the award categories, the participating pumpkin and carver must comply with the contest’s general guidelines as follows:
1. Mail in this form! Pumpkins are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis, and there are a limited number of pumpkins. Additional carvers are put on a waiting list to replace registered carvers who don’t show the day of the Carve. Numbers are assigned and no changes are allowed.
2. Carver check-in is on Thursday, October 4th and begins at 4:00 p.m. - not any earlier.
3. The pumpkin patch will not open up to carvers UNTIL 4:30 p.m. You CANNOT enter the pumpkin patch earlier than 4:30 p.m.
4. BRING YOUR OWN CANDLES. The OLOL Men’s Club will replenish candles for the second and third days, but it is your responsibility to illuminate your pumpkin the first night for judging consideration.
5. If a carver is not carving his or her pumpkin by 5:30 p.m. without notice that he or she is running late, then that pumpkin will be forfeited to a carver on the waiting list.
6. Carving MUST be completed by 8 p.m. on Thursday night to be eligible for judging. Winners will be posted on the event website on Friday by 12:00 noon.
7. NO VEHICLES IN THE PUMPKIN PATCH. Please be prepared to transport all necessary tools from the parking lot some other way – BRING A WHEELBARROW, WAGON OR some other non-mechanized form of transport. We have Boy Scout Troop 21 available to help you move your gear.
8. Carving Teams can be from 1 – 4 people. Four is the maximum per pumpkin, NO EXCEPTIONS. One carver with 1 to 3 helpers – the pumpkins can weigh up to 200 pounds!
9. Carvers’ ages 14 – 16 years old MUST be accompanied by an adult.
10. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES are permitted.
11. NO DOGS ALLOWED in the pumpkin patch. NO EXCEPTIONS.
12. ELECTRIFICATION in the final presentation in any way disqualifies you from the awards (besides People’s Choice). Dremmel tools are allowed for carving. Type your paragraph here.
13. The use of any additional materials as design elements, items other than the assigned pumpkin or its natural components (seeds, “guts” and the pumpkin itself) will make the pumpkin only eligible for the People’s Choice Award and ineligible for all of the other awards.
14. If you want to take your carved pumpkin home AFTER the 3-day event, you will need to make arrangements at carving check-in. These arrangements will involve you coming at the end of the event Saturday, October 6th, 7:00p.m. – 7:15p.m.
NOTE: Pumpkins not picked up are donated to local nursing facilities.
Please remember your registration must be received in the office by Monday, October 1st, at noon - the sooner, the better. See you on the 4th of October!
The Great Utica Pumpkin Carve Committee
A panel of judges will determine the Winners in the following categories: Best Overall, Most Halloween, Best Use of Pumpkin and Best Student Entry.
Best Overall - A clean carving with a high degree of detail using a combination of most skillfully carved, artistry in design & best use of pumpkin shape & size – Best carving skills.
Most Halloween - Includes all traditional Halloween‐themed designs ~ jack‐o‐lanterns, ghosts, goblins, witches etc.
Best Use of Pumpkin - Pumpkins that have been carved to their fullest. Qualifying pumpkins will be judged for original size and shape incorporated into the final design. Note: Using pumpkin pieces changes the shape of the pumpkin!
Best Student Entry – same criteria as Best Overall.
People’s Choice (spectators vote)
Link to PDF download form Click Here
Register by phone Call: 315-749-5122